Tips for Receiving Feedback
- Notice what is going on in your mind as someone is giving you feedback
- Don’t argue, defend, or rationalize
- Listen for the truth in what they are saying, and how you can use the feedback to improve
- If you don’t understand all or part of the feedback, ask for specific examples or further explanation
- If change is necessary, ask for help in developing solutions or alternate ways of doing the task or project
- Thank them
- If your manager is not giving you enough feedback, be accountable! ASK him or her for specific feedback.
- Take the initiative; if you don’t, you are not being accountable.
- Don’t be vague. (“How am I doing?”)
- Rather, ask about something specific you have done.
- Repeat and paraphrase what your manager says to make sure you understood correctly.
Learning How to Accept Feedback is a Skill Important to Your Success
Check out a Learning Event on This Topic
### (Return to Archives)
© Copyright 2004-2018, HPTS. All rights reserved.